Welcome to St Mary's RC Primary
We love God, we love learning, we love each other
Welcome to Reception
Teacher: Miss Bain
Teaching Assistant: Miss Smith
Our class email: email@example.com
Welcome to Reception
Reception have been busy learning all about the Hindu festival of Diwali. We listened to Dipal’s story of how his family celebrate this special festival. We then painted Rangoli patterns, created our own diva lamps, designed Mendhi hand paints & decorated our own Diwali biscuits. Well done everyone
The Sacrament of Baptism
This week in RE Reception have been learning about the sacrament of Baptism. We role played our own Baptism with parents & godparents and welcomed baby Emily Rose into God’s family and the family of St Mary’s Parish.
Black History Month
Reception have done some wonderful work this week as part of Black History Month. We read the story of The Ghanaian Goldilocks & learnt lots about African culture. We then looked at Kente cloth & the rich, colourful prints on traditional African clothes which inspired us to make our own Kente patterns. Reception also learnt about Mae Jemison the first black female astronaut to go into space.
We have been learning all about 2D shapes and have been exploring how to create pictures using our shapes. We made some fantastic shape clowns!
All about Autumn
As part of Healthy Week we have taken part in lots of activities to relax our body and mind including yoga, peer massage, exercise & listening to meditation stories. We have also read The Colour Monster and explored different feelings we might experience using our sensory feelings jars. .
Exploring different ways to move on, off & along our large apparatus.
We have enjoyed learning all about Harvest & finding out about where some of our fruit and vegetables come from. We also offered prayers to thank all those that help to harvest our crops and for those less fortunate than ourselves in our own local community and across the world.
Investigating our 5 Senses
We have had lots of fun in Reception this week learning about our 5 Senses! We have explored our sense of sight, hearing, touch, taste & smell. Well done everyone on a fantastic week of learning
My Marvellous Machine
We have had a super week in Reception learning all about our own ‘Marvellous Machine’. We have learnt about the special things our body can do, explored the features of our face & named & labelled parts of our body & Skeleton. Well done everyone!
Our new outdoor play equipment
We are extremely fortunate to have had our new outdoor play equipment installed this week. This is a fantastic addition to our outdoor area & will support the children’s physical development & risk taking skills. The children have had so much fun exploring this new physical play equipment.
Our first week
The children have had a wonderful time settling into their new Reception class. We are very proud of you all & look forward to our exciting year ahead! ☺️
Welcome to Reception
A very warm welcome to St Mary’s RC Primary to our new families and those returning to us this September.
The children have already made an amazing start to their year in Reception & we are extremely proud of how well they are settling into their new environment & routines. We are looking forward to a wonderful year together & we hope you enjoy hearing about all the exciting things we do in Reception!
Miss Bain & Miss Smith are the full time staff in Reception and we are also supported by Miss Kelly during our afternoon sessions. Miss Smith will cover PPA on a Thursday afternoon.
Reception's PE session will be every Thursday. Please send your child into school wearing their sportswear on this day.
Please visit our school website, class page & our Facebook page to keep up to date with all our latest EYFS & whole school news.
This half term our first topic is 'Marvellous Me'
We will spend lots of time becoming familiar with our new classroom, activities and routines and making new friends. We will be learning all about ourselves, talking about our family, our likes & dislikes and learning about what makes us special. We will also learn about our body and some of the special things our body can do.
- Uniform – We ask all children to wear a school uniform. A white polo shirt with either grey pants or grey skirt/pinafore & a blue jumper or cardigan
- Spare Clothes – All children should have a bag in school with spare clothes just i case of accidents.!
- Water Bottle – Children should bring a water bottle into school with their name clearly labelled on it. We do ask parents to make sure that the bottle contains only water
- Names – Please make sure children have their names in all items of their uniform.
- Book Bag – If your child has a school book bag, they can bring home a book from our library to share at home
- Wellies – Children can bring a pair of wellies to keep in school for rainy days and wet weather activities.
If you ever have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff our door is always open. You can speak to us directly, arrange a telephone appointment or contact us on our class email (see above).
We look forward to a busy and fun filled year together!
Miss Bain, Miss Smith and the Early Years Team
Reception Class 2021
Some of the wonderful memories we have shared this year!
As part of our topic work in Reception we have been learning all about Australia. We looked at some aboriginal artwork & talked about how it is created & the inspiration behind this artwork. We then created our own pieces of aboriginal inspired art.
MISSING CROCODILE UPDATE!
Reception received a very exciting letter to say that the croc had been spotted hiding at Chester Zoo! The zoo keepers have named him Boris & have given him a new home.
Have you seen a crocodile?
In Reception we have been reading the book OPEN VERY CAREFULLY A BOOK WITH A BITE! It is all about a crocodile eating the pages of the book & finally escaping out of the back cover. Today the children made their own Wanted posters & wrote some fantastic sentences to describe him. We are all very excited to find him & see where he has gone!
We have had a wonderful time during our Anna’s Dance sessions over the last term.
This week we have been learning all about snails. We looked at the features of a snail & observed how they move. We also made some observational drawings from photographs.
May is the month of Mary
EYFS gathered for a special liturgy to celebrate Mary during the month of May. We prayed together, crowned Mary with flowers & talked about how special she is.
Reception have been very busy during our minibeast topic work! We have been learning all about the lifecycle of a caterpillar to a butterfly & finding out lots of interesting facts about spiders. We even made a giant spider web which was lots of fun!
Reception found a Minibeast Explosion on our return to school this week! We became detectives & investigated the bugs & equipment that had been left for us. We then found a special letter from Denzel the nature detective who has sent us an exciting mission to become Minibeast Detectives over the next few weeks. Denzel is very excited for us to share our findings and learning with him!
This week Nursery & Reception have been learning about Palm Sunday. During this week’s Liturgy we re enacted Jesus’ triumphant parade into Jerusalem & talked about why it was such a happy celebration.
National Day of Reflection ❤️
Today Reception marked the National Day of Reflection by saying special prayers & placing messages of remembrance on our prayer tree. We also thanked our NHS Workers for all they have done & continue to do.
We are Designers!
We have been working independently to create our own models using different materials, tools & joining techniques. Fantastic work everyone!
Red Nose Day 2021
Thank you for all your generous donations towards Comic Relief. Reception have celebrated by designing red noses & enjoying some funny jokes!
Today Nursery & Reception gathered for our Lent Liturgy. We talked about preparing for Easter & trying to be more like Jesus by following in his footsteps. As part of our Lent promises we promised to be kind, to share, to be helpful and to be a good friend.
World Book Day 2021
What a fantastic day we have had celebrating World Book Day in Reception! The children have enjoyed sharing their favourite books & talking about their favourite characters. Well done everyone your costumes were amazing too!
Lent food bank donations & Easter gifts
Thank you for your generosity & all your wonderful donations for our local food banks & care homes.
Science Week in Reception
Wow what a fantastic Science week we have had in Reception! We have been busy scientists exploring ice gardens, colour mixing, floating & sinking & taking part in our whole school biscuit dunking challenge!
MAD Week in Reception: The Lion King!
Reception Home Learning
We have been working very hard at home and at school and we have created some fantastic work on Jack and the Beanstalk.
Our EYFS Nativity... The Honky Tonky Donkey!
EYFS Advent Liturgy
Today we took part in our Advent Liturgy and we reflected on the ways in which we are preparing for the birth of Jesus Christ. We also read the Nativity story and talked about the special night that Jesus was born.
Espresso is an online learning platfrom which gives you access to a large range of interactive learning resources to support your child's learning at home.
If you click on the Foundation year group you will find many age appropriate stories, games & educational videos.
You can access this website using the following link & login details
Login: student 18703
Welcome to our Reception Class page, where we love to learn through play!
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience when dropping off and picking up your child. It will take a bit longer than normal, but these measures are in place to keep us all safe. Please can I remind you to queue up on the yellow spots provided and not to come past the yellow line.
Could I ask all parents, if you have not already, to send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s name. We can use this as a form of communication if there are any problems or queries, as I may not be available at the door. I will check this email daily and respond as soon as I can either via email or a phone call if preferred. Here at St Mary’s we believe communication between home and school is an essential factor for a wonderful learning experience.
In Reception we have myself and Miss Smith. Miss Smith will cover my PPA on a
Tuesday PM. Mr Wombwell will also be joining us on some afternoons within EYFS.
To keep up to date with everything that is happening in EYFS and around the school, please visit our school website for all the latest pictures and to see what we get up to!
Our topic for this half term is ‘Celebrations - celebrate good times!!’, where we will be learning all about different celebrations. We will be exploring different celebrations from around the world. Please see the medium term plan.
- Uniform - We ask all children to wear a school uniform. A white polo shirt with either grey pants or grey skirt/pinafore should be worn.
- Names - Please make sure children have their names in all items of their uniform. It helps us make sure your child has the correct uniform – you will be surprised how easily things go missing!
- PE kits – We will be doing PE on Thursday. Children should come to school on a Thursday wearing PE kit with a tracksuit over it. Uniform should be worn on all other days.
- Spare Clothes - All children should have a bag in school with spare clothes, as accidents do happen. This will be left on your child’s peg.
- Water Bottles – Children should bring a water bottle into school with their name clearly labelled on it. We do ask parents to make sure that the bottle contains only water. They can drink this throughout the day as and when they get thirsty.
- Book Bag – Once all the children are settled and we have assessed them, they will start to bring a library book, a reading book, lotto words and other activities home. Book bags will go out on Fridays and will need to be back by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Wet weather Attire - All children need a pair of wellies and a raincoat with their names on. With the fantastic English weather, we can expect lots of rain.
Things to do at Home
- Phonics – Play I spy, look at phonic songs on youtube and ask your child what letter sounds animals/object/places begin with. Anything is fab!
- Reading - Read with your child as much as possible and encourage them to discuss their favourite characters and favourite book(s)
- Maths - Draw your child’s attention to numbers and shapes within their environment. E.g. door numbers, shapes of household items
- Topic - Discuss family life with your child, including immediate family members along with their visual traits and what makes them so special. We will be looking at our bodies and some of our vital organs.
We look forward to all the fun and exciting things we will be doing together this year.
Miss Bain and Miss Smith