Welcome to St Mary's RC Primary
We love God, we love learning, we love each other
Welcome to Reception
Teacher: Miss Bain
Teaching Assistant: Miss Smith
Our class email: email@example.com
Reception Class 2021
Some of our special memories from this year!
As part of our topic work in Reception we have been learning all about Australia. We looked at some aboriginal artwork & talked about how it is created & the inspiration behind this artwork. We then created our own pieces of aboriginal inspired art.
MISSING CROCODILE UPDATE!
Reception received a very exciting letter to say that the croc had been spotted hiding at Chester Zoo! The zoo keepers have named him Boris & have given him a new home.
Have you seen a crocodile?
In Reception we have been reading the book OPEN VERY CAREFULLY A BOOK WITH A BITE! It is all about a crocodile eating the pages of the book & finally escaping out of the back cover. Today the children made their own Wanted posters & wrote some fantastic sentences to describe him. We are all very excited to find him & see where he has gone!
We have had a wonderful time during our Anna’s Dance sessions over the last term.
This week we have been learning all about snails. We looked at the features of a snail & observed how they move. We also made some observational drawings from photographs.
May is the month of Mary
EYFS gathered for a special liturgy to celebrate Mary during the month of May. We prayed together, crowned Mary with flowers & talked about how special she is.
Reception have been very busy during our minibeast topic work! We have been learning all about the lifecycle of a caterpillar to a butterfly & finding out lots of interesting facts about spiders. We even made a giant spider web which was lots of fun!
Reception found a Minibeast Explosion on our return to school this week! We became detectives & investigated the bugs & equipment that had been left for us. We then found a special letter from Denzel the nature detective who has sent us an exciting mission to become Minibeast Detectives over the next few weeks. Denzel is very excited for us to share our findings and learning with him!
This week Nursery & Reception have been learning about Palm Sunday. During this week’s Liturgy we re enacted Jesus’ triumphant parade into Jerusalem & talked about why it was such a happy celebration.
National Day of Reflection ❤️
Today Reception marked the National Day of Reflection by saying special prayers & placing messages of remembrance on our prayer tree. We also thanked our NHS Workers for all they have done & continue to do.
We are Designers!
We have been working independently to create our own models using different materials, tools & joining techniques. Fantastic work everyone!
Red Nose Day 2021
Thank you for all your generous donations towards Comic Relief. Reception have celebrated by designing red noses & enjoying some funny jokes!
Today Nursery & Reception gathered for our Lent Liturgy. We talked about preparing for Easter & trying to be more like Jesus by following in his footsteps. As part of our Lent promises we promised to be kind, to share, to be helpful and to be a good friend.
World Book Day 2021
What a fantastic day we have had celebrating World Book Day in Reception! The children have enjoyed sharing their favourite books & talking about their favourite characters. Well done everyone your costumes were amazing too!
Lent food bank donations & Easter gifts
Thank you for your generosity & all your wonderful donations for our local food banks & care homes.
Science Week in Reception
Wow what a fantastic Science week we have had in Reception! We have been busy scientists exploring ice gardens, colour mixing, floating & sinking & taking part in our whole school biscuit dunking challenge!
MAD Week in Reception: The Lion King!
Reception Home Learning
We have been working very hard at home and at school and we have created some fantastic work on Jack and the Beanstalk.
Our EYFS Nativity... The Honky Tonky Donkey!
EYFS Advent Liturgy
Today we took part in our Advent Liturgy and we reflected on the ways in which we are preparing for the birth of Jesus Christ. We also read the Nativity story and talked about the special night that Jesus was born.
Espresso is an online learning platfrom which gives you access to a large range of interactive learning resources to support your child's learning at home.
If you click on the Foundation year group you will find many age appropriate stories, games & educational videos.
You can access this website using the following link & login details
Login: student 18703
Welcome to our Reception Class page, where we love to learn through play!
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience when dropping off and picking up your child. It will take a bit longer than normal, but these measures are in place to keep us all safe. Please can I remind you to queue up on the yellow spots provided and not to come past the yellow line.
Could I ask all parents, if you have not already, to send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s name. We can use this as a form of communication if there are any problems or queries, as I may not be available at the door. I will check this email daily and respond as soon as I can either via email or a phone call if preferred. Here at St Mary’s we believe communication between home and school is an essential factor for a wonderful learning experience.
In Reception we have myself and Miss Smith. Miss Smith will cover my PPA on a
Tuesday PM. Mr Wombwell will also be joining us on some afternoons within EYFS.
To keep up to date with everything that is happening in EYFS and around the school, please visit our school website for all the latest pictures and to see what we get up to!
Our topic for this half term is ‘Celebrations - celebrate good times!!’, where we will be learning all about different celebrations. We will be exploring different celebrations from around the world. Please see the medium term plan.
- Uniform - We ask all children to wear a school uniform. A white polo shirt with either grey pants or grey skirt/pinafore should be worn.
- Names - Please make sure children have their names in all items of their uniform. It helps us make sure your child has the correct uniform – you will be surprised how easily things go missing!
- PE kits – We will be doing PE on Thursday. Children should come to school on a Thursday wearing PE kit with a tracksuit over it. Uniform should be worn on all other days.
- Spare Clothes - All children should have a bag in school with spare clothes, as accidents do happen. This will be left on your child’s peg.
- Water Bottles – Children should bring a water bottle into school with their name clearly labelled on it. We do ask parents to make sure that the bottle contains only water. They can drink this throughout the day as and when they get thirsty.
- Book Bag – Once all the children are settled and we have assessed them, they will start to bring a library book, a reading book, lotto words and other activities home. Book bags will go out on Fridays and will need to be back by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Wet weather Attire - All children need a pair of wellies and a raincoat with their names on. With the fantastic English weather, we can expect lots of rain.
Things to do at Home
- Phonics – Play I spy, look at phonic songs on youtube and ask your child what letter sounds animals/object/places begin with. Anything is fab!
- Reading - Read with your child as much as possible and encourage them to discuss their favourite characters and favourite book(s)
- Maths - Draw your child’s attention to numbers and shapes within their environment. E.g. door numbers, shapes of household items
- Topic - Discuss family life with your child, including immediate family members along with their visual traits and what makes them so special. We will be looking at our bodies and some of our vital organs.
We look forward to all the fun and exciting things we will be doing together this year.
Miss Bain and Miss Smith